Whistleblowers Under the Act to Prevent Pollution from Ships
Get a Reward! Stop the Pollution of the Oceans
Statutes, Regulations and Conventions
- Act to Prevent Pollution from Ships Statute
- Ocean Pollution Cases
- Motion by U.S. Attorney Christopher Christie on whistleblower rewards in ocean pollution cases: United States v. Sun Ace Shipping Company, 2:06-cr- 00705, “Motion and Memorandum in Support of Award” (D. N.J. Nov. 15, 2006).
Updates and Blogs
- Whistleblower Disclosure Leads to Largest-ever Criminal Penalty for Vessel Pollution
- German Shipping Companies Convicted of Violating the Act to Prevent Pollution from Ships
- Whistleblower Protections to Combat Pollution on the High Seas Submitted to the European Commission, Public Consultation on Whistleblowing (Powerpoint)
- Letter to the European Commission regarding implementing a similar provision to the Act to Prevent Pollution from Ships
The table below lists five of the organizations that have obtained monies from court ordered restitution or community service payments, along with examples of the projects funded with these funds.
- Vessel Pollution, Department of Justice, Press Release (April 13, 2015) (“The United States is the leading country in enforcing MARPOL, a widely accepted maritime environmental treaty to which the United States is a party, but to which there is widespread non-compliance”).
- U.S. Attorney’s Manual section for environmental crimes
- Report an Oil, Chemical or Marine Security incident at the National Response Center hotline at 1-800-424-8802