The Effectiveness of Whistleblowers
Reports on the Success of Whistleblower Programs
Use these new legal weapons to ensure you are protected
Statutes and Regulations
- False Claims Act
- Internal Revenue Code
- Securities and Exchange Act
- Commodity Exchange Act
- Financial Institution Reform, Recovery, and Enforcement Act (FIRREA)
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- Motor Vehicle Safety Act
- Act to Prevent Pollution From Ships (APPS)
- Lacey Act
- Endangered Species Act
- Fish and Wildlife Improvement Act
- IRS Whistleblower Office
- SEC’s Office of the Whistleblower
- Commodity Futures Trading Commission’s Whistleblower Program
- 13.769 Billion Reasons to Thank Whistleblowers on Tax Day
- Brad Birkenfeld receives $104 million IRS whistleblower award
- SEC Announces Record Year Standing Up for Whistleblowers
- Fight International Corruption Using Whistleblower Reward Laws
- SEC Enforcement Director Speaks on The Impact of the Whistleblower Program.
- Did The “Conservative” U.S. Court Of Appeals For The Fifth Circuit Issue The Most Important Whistleblower Victory For 2014?
- Halliburton Revealing Whistleblower’s Identity to Colleagues is Adverse Action.
- SEC Chair Praises Whistleblower Reward Program as “Enormously Successful.”
- The Ethics Resource Center conducted numerous studies on employee reporting behavior. The study that focused on whistleblowers was Blowing the Whistle on Workplace Misconduct, published by the ERC in December 2010.
- SEC Chair Praises Agency’s Whistleblower Program; Mary Jo White
- Mary Jo White, “Remarks at the Securities Enforcement Forum” (Oct. 9, 2013).
- Statement of Attorney General on the False Claims Act: Eric Holder, U.S. Department of Justice, “Attorney General Eric Holder Speaks at the 25th Anniversary of the False Claims Act Amendments of 1986” (Jan. 31, 2012).
- Statement of the Assistant Attorney General on the False Claims Act: Assistant Attorney General, U.S. Department of Justice, “Remarks at American Bar Association’s 10th National Institute on the Civil False Claims Act and Qui Tam Enforcement,” (June 5, 2014).
- The testimony of the Senate Judiciary Chair in support of the False Claims Act: “Statement for the Record by Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa Chairman, Senate Judiciary Committee At a House Judiciary Subcommittee on the constitution and Civil Justice Hearing on ’Oversight of the False Claims Act’ April 28, 2016.”
- Overview of the effectiveness of reward laws: Testimony of Stephen Kohn, House Committee on Government Oversight and Reform
- Alexander Dyck, Adair Morse, and Luigi Zingales, Who Blows the Whistle on Corporate Fraud? The University of Chicago Booth School of Business Working Paper No 08-22 (2009).
- The Department of Justice’s statistics regarding recoveries under the False Claims Act from 1987-2016.
The table below tracks the total sanctions obtained from the U.S. government thanks to whistleblowers from 1985 to 2015, broken down in three-year blocks. As can be seen, the total collections have significantly increased almost every year, constituting a large majority of the recoveries.
The table below is a chart of how companies detect fraud.
In the table below it depicts who employee’s typically report to regarding misconduct or fraud.